I am a certificated English teacher with Seattle Public Schools with an MA in Comparative Literature and Second Language Acquisition.
Why are you in school? What are your goals? Perhaps it’s not surprising that once we can answer these questions, learning falls into place.
I will motivate you to complete both career-based and avocational (“recreational”) pursuits in a way that brings fulfillment and competency.
I have edited books for publication, most recently, Deep Changes, aiding in the translation from Spanish to English and providing ample feedback on the manuscript.
Burien Community Church
Ministry intern, preaching, administering the sacraments, planning and coordinating a mission trip to Mexico, meeting with parishioners.
City University, Seattle
Russian and German instructor, teaching adults using the communicative approach and focusing on cognitive grammar models.
Highline and Seattle Public Schools
Language learning specialist, department chair, seal of biliteracy administrator, and English teacher.
University of California, Davis
Taught Russian 1-6 and German 1-4, and literature and writing courses, most frequently, literature of fantasy and the supernatural
A bit more of my background….
Northwest Nazarene University (2020-present):
Master of Divinity Student (Missional Leadership Focus)
UC Davis (2008-2014):
MA Comparative Literature in Russian and French
Critical Theory Certificate
Second Language Acquisition Certificate
UC Berkeley (2005-2007):
BA Slavic Languages and Literatures
Summa Cum Laude
Department Citation of Excellence in Scholarly Research
Sonoma State University (2003-2005):
Piano Performance, Band and Choir
Hutchins Program of Liberal Studies
Sample of community service projects I take on…
- Pro-bono Consultant with Northwest Education Access; responsible for developing their community mentorship program
- Spanish teacher for students in college who want to learn Spanish
- Cook for neighbors/friends in need
- Editor/Translator for book project by theologian Nicolas Tranchini (Spanish-English)
- Presenter on creating community and backyard wildlife habitats
Types of PD I frequently take…
- Ongoing diversity, equity and inclusion training (teaching humans how to be humane)
- Great Books and Literacy training (teaching kids how to read)
- Business courses, especially at the intersection of business and faith
- Biopsychosocial and Spiritual Care, and Mental Health Research Presentations
- Detention Ministry Training
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy Coursework and Programs
- Hospice Training
- Restorative Justice Training
- Stephen Ministry Training
- Language learning – from night classes down to things as intensive as a Fulbright scholarship to Moscow, Russia